This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Contest! Free Manduka ProLite

Hey members of Toronto Namaste! We are excited to announce that we will be doing our first contest by giving away two Manduka ProLite yoga mats to two members. Please follow the directions below for a chance to win.

HOW TO ENTER
    It's very simple! Login to your TN account and make a post in reply to this thread. You simply need to share how you found yoga and what inspired you to start doing yoga.

HOW TO WIN
    Posts must be made before midnight on November 30, 2017 and you will be entered into the contest.

One winner will be determined from a random draw. The winner will be announced in this thread on December 1, 2017.

The second winner will be determined by the most amount of "Likes" on their post by midnight on November 30, 2017. This can be found on the bottom right of each post. Anyone with a TN account can "Like" a post so feel free to browse through everyone's yoga journey.

Good luck to everyone and welcome to Toronto Namaste!
    Last edited by TorontoNamaste; 10-16-2017, 07:30 PM.

I've always heard of yoga but never tried it until one day my friend basically convinced me to go with her. I never realized how hard it is and was pretty demotivated after my first class. Again, I went back because of my friend and we were doing a 30 day trial at a studio. Throughout this trial, I just grew to love yoga more and more and have been doing it ever since!

Comment

Hello TN,
      My story is nothing special but I was just sitting around one day and decided I need to stop sitting around and taking better care of my body! I went to the gym before but I guess I didn't know what to do and it didn't really push me. So I thought it would be great to have an instructor teaching a class. I looked online on Groupon and there were so many studios have deals for 1 month trials so I picked one closer to me and went. My first workout I nearly died Never sweated and worked out so hard before and I felt great afterwards. I then started to go a couple times a week. I've gotten much healthier since then. Well, at least I feel better . So that's how I got started in yoga. Cheers!

Comment

I always had back pain, not too bad but definitely didn't feel right. Because of this I started searching on youtube for stretches to do. From there I found some yoga videos and started doing them slowly. I didn't even have a mat back then. I just did like short routines and gradually I kept doing more and more yoga. I then joined some classes at my gym and recently started going to a yoga studio. It really helped with my back and just my overall health in general so I'm really thankful for yoga!

Comment

I got into a car accident and because of that I had to go to rehab. At the rehabilitation clinic, I did physio, massage, workouts and anything required to get my back and shoulder back to normal. Some of the exercises were yoga stretches so that kind of introduced me to the whole yoga thing. I went home and started googling more yoga poses and I got more into it from there. After rehabilitation, yoga became my main source of workout and I just fell in love with it.

Comment

I used to go to the gym a lot but never paid too much attention to yoga. Until one day, I suffered a shoulder injury from lifting. It was a weird type of pain... on the surface I felt the pain go away in a week. However, the pain would be there whenever I did shoulder exercises... and it was like that for a couple years. I started doing more stretches and one thing led to another, I ended up in a yoga class. Ever since then, I've been doing yoga more than lifting and I feel better than ever.

Comment

My yoga journey all started around 5 years ago. My sister asked me to go do hot yoga with her and I was like "sure, why not." GOD it was awful but next thing I know, I was back the next day . But this time...it was TERRIBLE! And then somehow I was back at it again haha. The feeling after a hot yoga class, it's just amazing! I kept up with my practice and I figured out that... I actually love... yoga! In all seriousness, I love the feeling after class, the time I have for myself, and most importantly, the yoga community. Thank you yogis for the wonderful experience!

Comment

MY GF made me go with her!!! AND I LOVED IT! I never realized how hard yoga was and watching other people in class, that inspired me to keep working on my own practice.

Comment

I was really into surfing a few years ago and I really wanted to become a better surfer. In pursuit of that, I turned to yoga to improve my flexibility and balance. But yoga has given me so much more than that. I learned to focus on my breath and being more aware of my own body. It's definitely life-changing.

Comment

First, I just want to thank TN for doing this contest. I think it's a great way to learn more about each other and our community.

For me, I think it all started when I was in university. During my time at uni, I suffered from anxiety and depression and it basically took over my life. I was never like this and in my mind, I was always a jolly person. I guess as I grew older, I started caring too much about what people thought of me, about everything I do. Because of this, everything was a challenge to me. When I step out the door, I feel so anxious that I couldn't handle it so I ended up skipping a lot of classes. It was a tough few years, the hardest years of my life, but luckily I ended up graduating uni with a Bachelors of Science.

After graduating, I set out to look for a job. I didn't want see anyone and didn't have many friends. I finally found a job in Cambridge doing lab work. It was at this time that I found yoga. Actually, I would say that yoga found me. I saw a magazine in my workplace and saw pictures of yoga poses and I thought to myself, "I want to do that." I went home that day and started my Google search about yoga and YouTubing how to do yoga.

A year or two passed of me doing yoga by myself. Life was good. I made some friends at work and I think I climbed out of that rut. Yoga has allowed me to find my self-worth and self-confidence, which in turn led me to become a happier person. I felt like me again. I found contentment in more things and I'm able to laugh more, and I owe it to yoga. It challenged me but when I achieve certain postures, I felt accomplishment. I ended up joining a studio and the community was more welcoming than I can ever ask for. I felt appreciated and no one ever judged me for anything and I truly love that about yoga.

As I learn more about yoga and its philosophy, I've grown to love it even more. I am truly grateful for yoga.

With love,
                    Sonia

Comment

• imbianca
                      imbianca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for sharing that Sonia! I think I found my inspiration for my yoga practice.

When I first learned about yoga, I thought it would be a great way for my mom to stay active. She didn't want to go so I ended up going with her to bring her along. It was my first time too but I really enjoyed it and now it's like a mom and me time! It has brought us closer and I love yoga.

Comment

When I first started doing yoga, I didn't even know I was doing yoga! It was incorporated into our fitness program at school and I thought we were just doing some stretches. I really enjoyed it though and afterwards I found out from the teacher that we were doing yoga. This was many many years ago. I stopped doing yoga for a few years after that and picked it up again when I realized that I needed to start looking after my body. And here I am!

Comment

The yoga studio that my friend goes to was hosting a 30 day yoga challenge. I always viewed yoga as sort of an easy thing so my friend bet me to take this challenge. Being the stubborn person that I am , I took this bet and dived right into it. Man was it tough. To her surprise though, I managed to grind out the challenge to completion. It changed my whole perspective of yoga though, and it definitely isn't "easy." After that, I love yoga. I still keep up with my daily practice up till this day! Thank you Katrina! (my friend)

Comment

I used to go to Goodlife and they had some fitness/yoga classes. I decided to sign up for a yoga class and it all started from there! I found myself attending more and more of their yoga classes so I ended up signing up to a yoga studio nearby, which was Hot Yoga Markham. Ever since then, I've just fallen in love with yoga and haven't stopped since!

Comment

I used to go to this studio for bellydancing classes. It was usually the last class of the night so we had to wait for the previous class to exit the studio room and we got to watch through this little window if we're there early waiting for them. That previous class turned out to be a yoga class and I watched as people do their practice. I thought it looked pretty interesting and it inspired me to want to do poses like them. It also complements my bellydancing . So I tried it and never looked back.

Comment

Working...
                            X